Friday, May 20, 2011

The Date is Set

We went to the Occu-plastics doctor on Thursday. There was no real examination, he just took a picture, measured his eye, and discussed which of four surgeries he was most likely to need. Then he discussed when it should be done, and why, what the results would be, and the post op protocol. At the end of the meeting I went to the office to "check out," at which time they gave me all the pre-op info. I chose a date, and now it's all set.

The doctor explained that he likes to do it between the ages of one and two, the recovery is better and easier. My uncle (an Optometrist, but his thoughts really seem spot on) feels it goes beyond that, and beyond the social aspects of having a droopy eyelid. He feels that as a kid gets older he will keep compensating, and will hold his head a certain way, and stand a certain way because he wants better vision from that eye. If the surgery is done earlier he won't get into certain "habits," really ways for him to see better which may be harder to "undo," developmentally, if he were older.

I don't want to do this in the summer, with the sun exposure, and just the whole nature of the summer. It can be limiting in that there needs to be some care taken post surgery, and wouldn't want the other kids to be held back. The time that makes the most sense is November. Things are usually calm and quiet that time of year, with everyone back in routine, it's just easier to just recover, without a lot of other things going on.

So now this surgery is months away, and I won't be seeing the surgeon again I guess until the day of surgery. I do intend to call with some questions and hopefully I will be able to speak with him.

This is so strange, because now it's set, but it is so far away. I'm mostly nervous about the general anesthesia, but the whole things is just nerve wracking. Everyone in the know says do it, but it won't produce perfection, and adds other small problems in its wake. he'll be more prone to conjunctivitis, and his eye will probably never fully close. I guess that's likely better then what he has now, but it lets a little bit of doubt worm its way in.

That and the woman who told me today "oh, my friend's daughter had that and it went away on its own." MY uncle said that's not possible, certainly not congenital ptosis. So I guess that's not REALLY bothering me.

Luckily, I spoke to someone else whose kid had the surgery over 10 years ago, and she was very calming to speak to. She told me once it's done I won't even remember all the fear and to-do that went into the run up to the surgery.

I hope she's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment